Our physicians at High Valley Dermatology have performed hundreds of surgeries for Malignant Melanoma Treatment. We specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of melanoma. Melanoma may be cured if it’s found and treated in its early stages. If melanoma has spread to other organs, it becomes much harder to treat. Treatment is determined by the stage of your Melanoma.
See more information on STAGING.
- Excision– the entire melanoma is cut out, along with a border (margin) of normal-appearing skin which is then sent to a pathologist.
- Staged Excision– Appointments for at least 3 consecutive days are scheduled. The first appointment the entire melanoma is cut out, along with a border of normal-appearing skin. A Bandage is placed and the specimen is sent to a pathologist. Results take about 24 hours to receive. The following appointments will depend of the pathology. If the melanoma is close to or in the margin more will be taken. If the area is clear from melanoma the wound will be closed.
- MOHs Micrographic Surgery for Melanoma (coming soon)-Dr. Frederick Mohs conceived of a method of removing skin cancers where essentially 100% of the margin could be evaluated. Over many years, the method has gained popularity due to its high cure rate, tissue sparing nature, and the usual one-day nature of the procedure.
- Chemotherapy– medicines to stop or slow the growth of cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy-medicines to stimulate your body’s immune system to fight the cancer.
- Targeted therapy with inhibitors- medicines that inhibit, or prevent, cancer cells from growing by blocking signals within the cell. Inhibitors are only given if a gene test shows that a person has the BRAF gene change, or mutation.
Call High Valley Dermatology at 208-522-(SKIN)7546 to discuss the best malignant melanoma treatment options for you.