Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy
If you have moderate acne and are uncomfortable taking antibiotics or are unhappy with your current topical treatment results, blue light therapy may be something for you to try. This Acne treatment is fairly simple. You sit with your face close to the light for approximately 17-minutes once or twice per week. The treatments may go on for five weeks or so. It’s safe, it’s not hot, it’s not painful. After some weeks, the blue light can help control your acne.
Actinic Keratosis (AK) if left untreated may progress into squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), the second most common form of skin cancer. This 2-part treatment is unique because it uses a blue light to activate the Ameluz or Levulan solution into a chemical toxic to AK cells.
Before Treatment Starts
- Bring someone to drive you home the day of treatment.
- Bring sun-protective items with you to your appointments such as a wide-brimmed hat.
- Let us know if you experience cold sores. This therapy may trigger one so preventive therapy can be given.
BLU-U PDT Treatment
Treatment Step 1: Application of AMELUZ or LEVULAN Topical Solution
- Once your face has been cleansed and scrubbed with acetone the AMELUZ or LEVULAN will be uniformly applied to your AK lesions.
- We will the direct you to wait the recommended time, usually 1 1/2-2 hours, in order to allow the solution to penetrate the targeted cells. This chemical is activated by the sun so we have you wait in our office until we activate the chemical.
Treatment Step 2: BLU-U Treatment
- Before your treatment, we will gently rinse and pat dry the treated area.
- Your treatment under the blue light will take approximately 17 minutes.
- Protective eyewear should be worn during that time.
- You may experience stinging or burning during your treatment. The light may be stopped for a short time if needed but it is recommended to finish the full 17 minutes.
- We will apply sunscreen and recommend staying indoors for the next 48 hours.
- You may apply moisturizers as needed.
- We recommend placing cold cloths on the treatment area frequently to help with burning.
- The most common side effects are:
- Burning/stinging, which could be severe, may last up to 24 hours after your BLU-U treatment
- Redness and swelling which may last up to 4 weeks after your BLU-U treatment
- Scaling/crusting which may last up to 4 weeks after your BLU-U treatment